St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church of Woodbury, named in honor of the first-century deacon and martyr, was formed in 1966 through the merger of two predecessor congregations, St. John’s and Trinity Lutheran. Church history officially dates to 1884 when a group of German-speaking Lutherans affiliated as St. John’s. Trinity Lutheran organized in 1924 as a neighborhood church in north Woodbury.
The current church and educational building on Evergreen Ave was dedicated in 1971.
New additions to the church property include a Memorial Garden for meditation and prayer and Columbarium with niches for permanent interment of cremated remains.