ABOUT US

ELCA_4_Color_Secondary.png

Who We Are
We are one in the body of Christ. We, as a community of faith, have much to share about God's love in Jesus Christ right here in Woodbury.​ Together, and in our individual lives, we worship, pray, learn, share and are witness to the living Lord in the world. Visit St. Stephen’s to find faith in action: meaningful worship in a moving setting, opportunity for personal spiritual growth, a chance to serve others and fellowship.

Affirmation of Welcome

In response to the overwhelming love of God, we stand in awe of the wideness of God’s mercy. In faithfulness to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, mindful of our Lutheran emphasis on grace, and rejoicing in the celebration of our shared baptismal journey, we welcome all who are seeking God’s love and grace. We welcome all because God welcomes all, regardless of race or culture, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or relationship status. We welcome all without regard to addictions, physical or mental health, imprisonment, socio-economic circumstances, or anything that too often divides us. Our unity is in Christ.

Our Mission Statement

Graced by the love of God through Word and Sacrament to be a caring community of believers, the fellowship of St. Stephen's is called:​

  • To support one another in growth in faith

  • To share in the mission of the Gospel of Jesus Christ; and

  • To reach out in witness and in service to the communities to which we belong as one in the body of Christ

 

Our Partners in Mission

Christus Lutheran Church- Camden, New Jersey
Emmanuel Lutheran Parish- Katutura, Namibia

Church Affiliations
ELCA: God's work. Our hands. St. Stephen Lutheran Church is an Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) congregation.
NJ Synod: The New Jersey Synod geographical groups ELCA congregations sharing the mission and ministry of the Church in New Jersey. It is one of 65 synods of the ELCA.
GWCM: Ten local faith communities join cooperatively as the Greater Woodbury Cooperative Ministries to serve many needs in the local community

OUR HISTORY

St. Stephen’s Lutheran Church of Woodbury, named in honor of the first-century deacon and martyr, was formed in 1966 through the merger of two predecessor congregations, St. John’s and Trinity Lutheran. Church history officially dates to 1884 when a group of German-speaking Lutherans affiliated as St. John’s. Trinity Lutheran organized in 1924 as a neighborhood church in north Woodbury.

The current church and educational building on Evergreen Ave was dedicated in 1971. 

New additions to the church property include a Memorial Garden for meditation and prayer and Columbarium with niches for permanent interment of cremated remains.​

My project.jpg
The Rev. Joseph Graumann

Church Staff:

Michael Wyatt
Meghan Ruggeri
Gail Gassaway

Director of Music
music@ststephenselca.org

Director of Communications
info@ststephenselca.org

Business Manager

gail@ststephenselca.org

Frank Newell
Mike Wyatt

Sexton

Facilities Manager

Church Council

Jack Bryant
Lisa Carney
Gail Gassaway

President

Vice President

Liason to Fellowship Committee

Treasurer
Liason to Financial Committee

Andi Gerrard
Dottie Shields
Dorothy Keenan

Secretary

Liason to Christian Education & Youth Committee

Financial Secretary

Liason to Financial Committee

Council Member
Liason to Stewardship Committee

Rich Dann
Kevin Glass
Judy Hunter

Council Member
​Liason to Worship & Music Committee

Council Member
Liason to Call Committee

Council Member
Liason to Evangelical Outreach and Social Ministry

Kevin Deininger
Jackie Wyatt
Sandy Margerum

Council Member
​Liason to Church Property

Council Member
Liason to Fellowship Committee

Council Member
Liason to Worship & Music Committee